Arch Support Insoles

• March 30, 2016 at 5:25 pm #2453
    Tom Wiseman
    Participant

I am looking for a new Insoles supplier for our fitting department. I have used Esoles for years and am now running out of product(company now defunct). Need a adjustable arch solution for foot correction in the $60-$80USD retail range. Have tried G8’s and seems they are expensive but effective. Any help or advice is appreciated.

March 30, 2016 at 6:28 pm #2454
    Andy Brooke
    Keymaster

I’ve used G8 too. Quite a nice option but supply in the UK is a bit erratic. I quite like the formthotics insoles, which are heat mouldable but not an adjustable arch.

Lloyd has recommended Superfeet in the past. I’ll see if I can get him to join the chat. He knows his stuff on insoles!

March 30, 2016 at 10:51 pm #2455
    Tom Wiseman
    Participant

I was also recently contacted by Solestar out of Germany. Their insoles start at $100US and go up from there. I have not looked into shipping and such to the states but again these are more than I would like to invest and also do not have an adjustable arch. They seem to think a one size fits all approach is good to get people back to a “neutral” position while pedaling. Any experience with these?
    I get the Superfeet from QBP here in a days time and they are OK for some but really looking for a more versatile option. I find often people need different height support for each foot and an identical pair is just not always a good fit for both feet. Fine for one, wrong for the other.

March 31, 2016 at 12:16 pm #2456
    Andy Brooke
    Keymaster

Yeah, solestar are making a big push at the minute. I probably got the same email. They can be good, Borut from S2P (makers of force pedals) really likes them but I hear a few people struggle with the large amount of valgus wedge built into the forefoot.

Heat moulding might be best for the cases where feet are different side to side. I’ve not used them for fitting but have played around with formthotics in my own shoes and they seem good. Sidas custom might be another way to go.

It’d be interesting to create a list of insole brands. Might help think through options in future. Just to get it started…

Solestar
    Formthotics
    Sidas
    Fizik
    G8
    Superfeet
    Specialized
    Sole

April 4, 2016 at 5:26 pm #2458
    Tom Wiseman
    Participant

The problem I have is finding a option to correct people with higher arches and weak feet. Their feet need more support than many of these “one size fits all” insoles can provide especially if the rider is heavy.

April 4, 2016 at 6:25 pm #2459
    Andy Brooke
    Keymaster

I’d be looking at thermoformable options like sidas. Capron is another worth looking into. There’s lots of stuff on their websites that might help but Lloyd has offered to give you some guidance too. You can contact him through his website – cyclefit.de

April 15, 2016 at 11:06 pm #2466
    Anne Barnes
    Participant

Tom – if you are looking for a US-based supplier for moldable footbeds, look into Lake Cycling. Not only do they have moldable footbeds, they also have moldable shoes. Plus, you can mold and re-mold as much as you like, no fear of not getting it right before the first 60mile ride.

Another good system is FootBalance, they offer drop-ins as well as a full moldable model. My contact there has been Bryn Acheson, bacheson@hickorybrands.com

If you have a rider with a super high arch with a lot of mobility, adding an ‘arch cookie‘ to give more support in the right place.

In my experience, the Superfeet do not do ‘enough’ from the arch to the forefoot; they control/stiffen the heel more so than control the forefoot. Seems to work ok for standing/running but there is not enough metatarsal support.

April 19, 2016 at 11:16 pm #2467
    Tom Wiseman
    Participant

Thanks Anne. I have had the same experience with the off the shelf Superfeet products. I have inquired with our Shimano rep to get some samples of their product. I have a local podiatrist who does custom insoles and have good response to his work. I really just want a slip in option that offers something like the results I got with Esoles adjustable arches. Looks like this could be an ongoing battle for a fair priced option that works.

February 18, 2018 at 10:43 pm #8095
    BPFNCyclos
    Participant

We already tested Solestar and its way better than original ones… but not perfect.

We get more support and confort, but the “one size fits all” approach doesn’t seems to be 100% efective.

We also tried to get a 100% custom insole (done by a Podologist), making models of our feet, and the insole adapts totally to my feet… Solestar doesn’t.

Now we received G8 to test… first ride will be tomorrow 😉

We are using our feeling (we ride road and MTB bike for some years) and the pedaling analyzer of our Bikefitting.com position simulator, to see if the insoles afect the way we apply force on the pedals.

A saddle pressure map will also be great to see some results, but for now we don’t have it.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Topic Tags